15 May 2013

Top 10 Things I Will Miss About Finland

Paige, USA
Spring 2013
International Relations Intern

It truly is hard to believe that in exactly 20 days my feet will again touch United States soil.  It's even harder to believe that I've been living in Finland already 5 months.  I feel like I am just becoming accustomed to living in the Land of a Thousand Lakes, and it is already time to leave.

Don't get me wrong, there are things in the United States that I'm looking forward to again, like seeing my family and buying cheap clothes.  However, there are so many things that I've come to enjoy and will miss about Finland.

#10 - How well everything works

Systems and services in Finland run, in my opinion, very efficiently--unlike my Erasmus experience in Spain, where everything was always mañana ('tomorrow').  I was surprised to find that I often received mail the very next day after it was sent.  That does not happen in the US.  Businesses and grocery stores keep convenient hours.  However, I do miss the 24 hours stores in my country.  I have yet to find any stores open 24 hours here.

#9 - Summertime sun


Well, it isn't quite summertime yet, but days are already very long.  The sun rises around 4 am and sets late into the night, almost 11 pm.  So much sunlight makes me feel energized, happy, and very productive.  On the downside, I do not sleep as well at night.  Who wants to go to sleep when there is still sun outside?!

#8 - Finnish food


Finnish food is not very different from the food I eat in my country, but there are some unique dishes that I will miss: pulla, rye bread, and Karelian pastries.  I think Finns create a dessert or bread for almost every holiday!

#7 - My internship at SAMK


I have really enjoyed my time here at SAMK.  It has been nice working instead of studying all the time.  Spending time with my Finnish co-workers has taught me a lot about the culture and language that you can only learn from the 'inside.'

#6 - No small talk


It is very refreshing for me that Finns actually enjoy silence.  Not talking on the train or bus is completely normal and comfortable to them.  In the US, people tend to think silence is uncomfortable.  We feel a pressure to talk constantly, even if the conversation is completely meaningless.

#5 - Recycling


I have not recycled much in my lifetime in the US. Unfortunately, in my state it is not a common practice, and the citizens do not learn much about it.  I have learned a lot about recycling since moving to Finland.  I can recycle nearly 90 percent of my waste at my apartment in Pori, which leaves me feeling very positive and environmentally responsible.

#4 - Nature


Nature in Finland is beautiful, where it is the emerald green in summer or the pearly white in winter. It's preserved, taken care of, and trash-free.  I like living in the city and still being surrounded by parks, trees, and nature trails.  It is a perfect atmosphere for outdoor sports--like jogging, cycling, rollerblading, hiking, Nordic walking, skiing, gardening, swimming, or spending time at a cottage--or for just sitting and enjoying your surroundings.

#3 - Public transportation


When I first moved here, I thought being without a car would be difficult, but it's not.  You can use a train or bus to get almost anywhere.  I've used the train system almost every weekend that I've lived here.  It's very convenient and reliable.  I can book my tickets online or buy them on the train.  Trains are almost always on time.

#2 - Walking


In Finland, walking is a way of life.  In the urbanized areas, you will find numerous sidewalks and, in the forests, walking trails.  Finnish sidewalks are like mini roads, quite different from the ones in my country. They are wide enough for bikers and  pedestrians and nicely paved.

And finally....

#1 - Sauna!


Finnish sauna is world renowned.  After my first time in the sauna I was sure I did not like it.  I was too hot and sweaty. Why would anyone think being hot and sweaty was fun?!  But a few weeks later, I was looking forward to sauna each week.  When I broke my arm and could not go to sauna, I was very unhappy.  I have yet to jump in a frozen lake or roll in the snow after winter sauna, and I'm not sure I ever will.  But who knows, maybe one day I will like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment